Dentons is the world's largest law firm, delivering quality and value to clients around the globe. Dentons is a leader on the Acritas Global Elite Brand Index, a BTI Client Service 30 Award winner and recognized by prominent business and legal publications for its innovations in client service, including founding Nextlaw Labs and the Nextlaw Global Referral Network. Dentons' polycentric approach and world-class talent challenge the status quo to advance client interests in the communities in which we live and work. www.dentons.com
The Legal Assistant role requires a unique blend of skills and experience providing general and administrative support within the Corporate Group. The position will require a polished, confident and reliable assistant with the ability to manage multiple tasks and adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment with sound judgment. The successful candidate will be organized, discreet, and adept at multitasking and have a client-care attitude and a confident work approach with a minimum of five year. Generally, the hours of work are from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with some flexibility required to meet client needs; pre-authorized overtime may be required.
• Drafting, preparing and proofreading correspondence, accounts and various transactional documents and forms.
• Maintaining, scanning, e-filing all documents and correspondence.
• Preparing closing documents and closing books.
• Entering and maintaining lawyer’s dockets and coordinating with the Accounting Department, when necessary; preparing detailed billings.
• Dealing with and responding to client inquiries expeditiously and conducting follow up; keeping the lawyers apprised of interactions in their absence.
• Maintaining precedent systems using the Firm protocol for knowledge management.
• Processing incoming and outgoing mail, including maintenance of email accounts and managing bring forwards.
• Preparing and updating cheque requisitions and expense reports.
• Updating and maintaining client/matter lists and current client contact records electronically to meet Dentons’ requirements.
• General administrative duties such as scheduling appointments and meetings, photocopying materials, booking meeting rooms, making travel arrangements, etc.; working with other related Departments/services internally to provide documents and other materials on time to meet client needs.
• Maintaining and organizing files, both electronic and hard copy as required.
• Demonstrating a team approach; supporting and standing in for colleagues to cover absences; ensuring strict adherence to confidentiality; accountability in relation to both internal and external clients to achieve outputs and goals for the Department and the Firm.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Legal Assistant diploma from an accredited college plus a minimum of two (2) to five (5) years of legal assistant experience preferably related to corporate, securities, mergers and acquisitions;
• Solid work experience in a legal environment with working knowledge of corporate law; preference will be given to previous experience gained within a large firm environment.
• Demonstrated knowledge of procedures, with a sound understanding of corporate transaction documents.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written).
• Excellent technical proficiency in Microsoft Office applications. Minimum 60 wpm typing speed.
• Knowledge of accounting/docketing systems and data management systems (Elite and iManage).
• Excellent organizational/follow up skills demonstrating attention to detail, proofreading and accuracy.
• A professional client and telephone manner.
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative with guidance from the lawyers to enable working independently in a fast-paced high volume environment.
• Demonstrated problem solving skills along with the ability to work with little instruction or supervision and be highly motivated.
• Meet deadlines; work well under pressure while maintaining a sense of humour.
• Demonstrated skill with respect to utilizing proper grammar, including punctuation and spelling.
• Demonstrated ability to remain calm yet keep a sense of urgency and a positive team driven work ethic.
• Commitment to privacy, policy and ethical conduct.
• SEDAR experience would be an asset.
*We thank all applicants who apply, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Inclusion and diversity (I&D) are fundamental to who we are at Dentons Canada and essential to the success and strength of our firm. Our forward-thinking, inclusive culture promotes and supports the professional development of our diverse talent, the leading services we offer to our clients, and positive social change. As a testament to our commitment to I&D, we are recognized as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employer’s for 11 consecutive years (2011-2021) and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People (2021) for the fourth time.
Dentons Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome your application. All employment decisions, including hiring, will be made without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship, colour, creed, disability, ethnic origin, family status, gender assigned at birth, gender identity, marital status, place of origin, race, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable human rights legislation.
To support and embrace your diverse skillsets, talents and experiences, we are committed to providing you with an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible workplace to support your success. Should you require accommodation during the recruitment process, for example as a result of a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.