Dentons is designed to be different. Our firm leads the way in a rapidly changing legal marketplace. We challenge the status quo, deliver consistent results, uncompromising quality and value to our clients. Our global presence is renowned with over 20,000 individuals in more than 200 offices across 80 countries. Dentons Canada is committed to its people and communities, and is consistently recognized as an employer of choice, having received Canada’s Top Employers for Young People (2022), Canada’s Best Diversity Employers (2022); Mansfield Rule 4.0+ Certification; Chambers Diversity & Inclusion Awards, North America 2021; Canada Law Awards for Pro Bono Initiative of the Year 2021.
Our Calgary office is currently seeking a litigation Paralegal to join our Legal Resource Services Department providing assistance to our Litigation & Dispute Resolution and Employment & Labour groups. The Paralegal will offer a blend of skills and experience providing litigation and practice support within a team where collegiality and collaboration are key elements of how we work at Dentons. The position will require a confident and reliable individual to manage multiple tasks and changing priorities. The successful applicant must be team-orientated and accustomed to working as a team with other paralegals and legal assistants.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an intermediate Paralegal with advanced eDiscovery skills or a senior Paralegal who is interested in joining an exceptional team.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
• Evidence and electronic document management, including organizing, culling and reviewing large volumes of records
• Processing, quality assurance and database management on complex litigation matters
• Analyze and edit load files, as required, for import to litigation support applications
• Reviewing and analyzing evidence, including for relevance, privilege, and to identify key documents
• Preparation of Affidavits of Records, undertaking responses and Bills of Costs
• Assisting in preparations for questionings, court hearings, mediations, arbitrations and trials, including assembling affidavits and court records
• Drafting pleadings and litigation hold documentation as required
Knowledge and Experience Required
• Minimum of five (5) years’ paralegal experience in civil litigation
• Strong legal analysis and critical thinking skills
• Detailed oriented and have excellent organizational and time-management skills
• Ability to work collaboratively with lawyers, legal assistants, and paralegals
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
• Strong attention to detail, and solid work-ethic
• Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
• Self-starter with proven ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines
• Technological proficiency, including in programs such as MS Word, MS Excel, Outlook, and time tracking software
• Significant e-Discovery experience and adherence to best practice with an advanced skill set in IPRO Suite of products, Relativity or other litigation support applications
• Working knowledge of the Alberta Rules of Court and key limitation time lines
What We Offer
• Competitive salary and benefits package
• Generous allowance of flex and vacation days
• RRSP matching program upon completion of the probationary period
• Opportunities for professional growth
• A flexible and positive work environment
*We thank all applicants who apply, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Dentons Canada, inclusion, diversity and equity (ID&E) are not just ancillary values, they are foundational to our business. We believe that ID&E is essential to the shared success of our team and our clients. Our forward-thinking and inclusive culture supports the professional development of all our people, enhances the leading services we offer to our clients, and informs our commitment to make a positive impact in the communities where we live and work. As a testament to our commitment to ID&E, we have been recognized as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employer’s for 12 consecutive years (2011-2022), as well as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People (2022) for the fifth time.
Dentons Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome your application. All employment decisions, including hiring, will be made without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship, colour, creed, disability, ethnic origin, family status, gender assigned at birth, gender identity, marital status, place of origin, race, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable human rights legislation.
We are committed to providing you with an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible workplace to support your success. Should you require accommodation during the recruitment process, for example as a result of a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.