Dentons is the world's largest law firm, delivering quality and value to clients around the globe. Dentons is a leader on the Acritas Global Elite Brand Index, a BTI Client Service 30 Award winner and recognized by prominent business and legal publications for its innovations in client service, including founding Nextlaw Labs and the Nextlaw Global Referral Network. Dentons' polycentric approach and world-class talent challenge the status quo to advance client interests in the communities in which we live and work. www.dentons.com
Dentons’ Vancouver office was recently recognized as one of BC’s Top Employers for the fifth year in a row and offers a great working environment, competitive salary and excellent benefits.
The Vancouver office is currently seeking an intermediate to senior Paralegal to join our Banking & Finance group. The Paralegal will offer a blend of skills and experience where they will be a key team member working with our long standing institutional lending clients as they manage files from start to finish.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work within a team where collegiality and collaboration are key elements of how we work at Dentons. The position will require a confident and reliable individual to manage multiple tasks and at times, changing priorities. The successful applicant must be team-orientated and accustomed to working within a team of other Paralegals, Legal Assistants and Lawyers.
• Administer files from start to finish
• Conduct Bank Act, bankruptcy, Corporate Registry, BC Assessment, land title, property tax and PPR searches and order relevant documents from Land Title Office
• Review all searches and summarize in Preliminary Report
• Determine additional due diligence required and prepare statutory lien enquiry documents and forward to Borrower’s solicitor
• Responsible for Personal Property Registry financing statement filings, Amendments and Discharges
• Review Offer of Finance or Term Sheet, determine what security is required and prepare drafts of all required security documentation for financing including solicitors’ opinion
• Obtain Lender Title Insurance if applicable
• Prepare and attend to discharge of prior mortgages, if applicable
• Prepare final encumbrance report
• Conduct further searches on closing date and review
• Prepare all LTSA related documentation for registration with the land title office, attend to registrations, review posts and prepare registration report to Borrower’s solicitors
• Prepare all internal documentation relating to trust account transactions and attend to wire transfers
• Communicate with clients, lawyers and paralegals
• Diarizing key post-closing dates and tasks (i.e. ensure Borrower’s solicitors have performed undertakings and registered any required discharges) and order State of Title Certificates
• Prepare and finalize reporting letter to client and closing books
• Paralegal Diploma or Certificate from an accredited institution (preferred but not necessarily required)
• 5 years’ experience in the area of Banking & Finance
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written)
• Strong technical skills including knowledge of BC Online, PPR, LTSA, Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
• Able to work independently in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
• Strong grammatical skills, including punctuation and proofreading, attention to detail and accuracy are a must
BENEFITS WE OFFER
• Competitive salary and benefits package
• Generous allowance of flex and vacation days
• RRSP matching program after passing probation
• Opportunities for professional growth
• Short and long term disability insurance
• Various social events and activities throughout the year
Equal Opportunity Statement
Inclusion and diversity (I&D) are fundamental to who we are at Dentons Canada and essential to the success and strength of our firm. Our forward-thinking, inclusive culture promotes and supports the professional development of our diverse talent, the leading services we offer to our clients, and positive social change. As a testament to our commitment to I&D, we are recognized as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employer’s for 11 consecutive years (2011-2021) and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People (2021) for the fourth time.
Dentons Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome your application. All employment decisions, including hiring, will be made without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship, colour, creed, disability, ethnic origin, family status, gender assigned at birth, gender identity, marital status, place of origin, race, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable human rights legislation.
To support and embrace your diverse skillsets, talents and experiences, we are committed to providing you with an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible workplace to support your success. Should you require accommodation during the recruitment process, for example as a result of a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.