The Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee (OPGT) delivers a unique and diverse range of services that safeguard the legal, personal and financial interests of private individuals and estates. In this challenging role, Estates Officers investigate
JOB PURPOSE: The File Management Coordinator (FMC) provides support for file management and hearings at the Law Society Tribunal, including intake, maintaining electronic files, and supporting and assisting the panel and court reporter/monitor at
JOB PURPOSE: The Administration Manager, Intake & Resolution is responsible for managing, coordinating and supervising a team of Administrative Assistants within Intake & Resolution. As a member of the Department's management team, the
Job TitleConsultant (Real Estate Analyst)Job Description SummaryThe Strategic Consulting team provides facility accommodation and asset strategies to Canada’s leading public and private institutions and corporations. Advisory processes are tailored
Join the ranks of Stikeman Elliott, one of the most distinguished and respected corporate law firms in Canada. Our Toronto office is located in the heart of the financial district, with prime access to public transit, which makes it ideal for
Consider these challenging opportunities in the Superior and Ontario Court of Justice as a Court Services Officer, where you will provide support to the judiciary, juries and the overall administration of the courts.Please note you will work zero to
Legal Manager - Montreal or Mississauga Office
Hybrid work schedule
JTI-Macdonald Corp., established in 1858, is one of Canada’s oldest and leading tobacco companies employing approximately 500 employees across the country with the headquarters in Mississauga (Ontario), manufacturing facilities in Montreal (Quebec) and sales offices across the country. In 2022, we have been certified as Canada’s #1 Employer by the Top Employers Institute.
JTI-Macdonald Corp is a member of the Japan Tobacco International (JTI) group, a subsidiary of JT Inc. JTI is a leading international tobacco and vaping company, with headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland and an international workforce of 48,000 employees. Our world-renowned brands are available in over 130 markets. Though the tobacco industry is changing, JTI remains committed to provide adult consumers with a choice of a wide portfolio of quality products including those with the potential to reduce the risks associated with smoking.
In 2022, JTI was recognized as a Global Top Employer for the eighth consecutive year with certifications in 66 countries around the world. This achievement showcases JTI’s commitment that every employee should be able to work in a safe environment, thrive professionally and be their authentic selves in the workplace. For more information we invite you to visit jti.com.
Who are we looking for?
We are ideally seeking a Quebec-qualified lawyer (5-8 years’ experience) fluent in both English and French to join our strong and respected legal team of six, as a Legal Manager. The position can be based in either Mississauga, Ontario or in Montreal, Quebec and will report to the Head of Legal, Canada, who is an English-qualified lawyer with both private practice experience and 10+ years of international experience with JTI.
The Legal Manager must be confident, well-organized, strategic, ambitious and a team player. They must have determination, resilience and enthusiasm to continuously learn and build on their existing knowledge and be able to quickly forge strong internal relationships based on credibility and trust.
They must be able to provide high quality legal advice, strategic recommendations and training to management and senior management across multiple business units of JTI Canada. In addition to their broad commercial and regulatory law experience (e.g. advising on typical in-house topics such as consumer and trade marketing compliance, product liability and consumer care, competition law, sanctions, anti-bribery, EHS, commercial contracts etc.), the candidate must have demonstrable expertise in contentious and non-contentious labor law in Canada as they will be the primary point of contact and responsible for supporting our People and Culture (P&C) and Global Supply Chain (GSC) teams in managing employee relations matters and supporting any trade union discussions, negotiations and arbitrations. They will instruct and manage outside counsel and ensure these services are provided to a high standard and within budget.
The Legal Manager will also be expected to initiate and coordinate local and/or global projects to, for example, accelerate productivity by way of increased efficiency, simplification and digitization. They will also work in cross-functional agile teams on strategic commercial and legal projects (e.g. on environmental and sustainability compliance topics).
• Assume responsibility for advising on all labor law, EHS, sanctions and environmental/sustainability compliance matters pertaining to P&C and GSC.
• Assume responsibility for providing other general commercial and regulatory advisory to designated marketing, sales and research teams, consumer complaints teams and GSC operational teams.
• Reviewing and drafting a variety of agreements, policies and other template documents.
• In areas of delegated responsibility, leading audits, inspections or interactions with regulatory authorities.
• Anticipating, monitoring and analyzing legislation and regulatory trends, assessing risk and impact intelligently and comprehensively (and cross-functionally) and keeping management informed.
• Working collaboratively as part of the legal team and wider business agile teams to provide support on new matters and/or to other JTI business units as determined from time to time.
• Preparing and delivering training to business colleagues on key compliance risks on an ongoing basis.
• Member of the Quebec Bar
• 5 to 8 years of legal practice, preferably with both private practice and relevant in-house experience
• Bilingual (French and English) with excellent communication skills, both written and oral
• Excellent judgement, decision-making and management skills
• Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment and collaborate with all members of the organization with enthusiasm, passion and good humor
• Occasional travel may be required
JTI-Macdonald Corp. is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion.
Accommodations during the recruitment process are available upon request for candidates with disabilities.
Please note that we welcome internal referrals, as per policy and candidates must be duly authorized to work in Canada.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those invited for an interview will be contacted.