Job Description - Claims Law Clerk (13 month contract) (1900042S)
Claims Law Clerk (13 month contract)-1900042S
Under the supervision of an attorney, provides legal support such as legal and documentary research; drafting legal documents, correspondence and pleadings of moderate complexity; maintaining and updating files; monitoring case schedules and filing deadlines; conducting interviews; and summarizing depositions, interrogatories, and testimony. Work may be in support of moderately complex Corporate or Customer litigation cases (e.g. case work, research, subpoenas, etc.) or non-litigation industry and/or Corporate matters (statutes/regulations, filings, contracts, etc.).
Influencer Internally Focused - The job’s core deliverables rely on influencing or negotiating with a range of internal clients, usually at the line manager or employee level. Relationships typically involve promoting cooperation, collaboration or acceptance.
• Conducts thorough and timely legal and/or documentary research on moderately complex matters; summarizes information and findings in reports, charts, diagrams, presentations, and/or other mediums. • Prepares moderately complex legal documents, correspondence, and/or pleadings; may draft complex legal documents under the direction and review of an attorney. • Assists with case preparation and management, including conducting factual investigations; locating and interviewing witnesses; compiling and preparing discovery information, evidence, and/or other case documentation; filing exhibits, briefs, appeals, and other legal documents with the court and/or opposing counsel; and maintaining case details in appropriate systems. Attends trials or other legal proceedings in support of an attorney as needed. • Organizes and maintains paper and electronic documents and files. • Responds to inquiries and provides updates to attorneys, internal departments, outside counsel, external agencies, opposing counsel, witnesses, and/or external customers as needed. • Assists with ad-hoc and routine tracking and reporting of department and/or case expenses, indemnity reserves, extra contractual, and/or other performance reports and analyses. • Business Travel, as required • Mandatory Overtime, as required • Regular Predictable Attendance
Additional Job Functions:
• May compile and prepare documents and materials for corporate filings, board meetings, and/or committee needs. • May assist with the preparation and filing of regulatory and/or required licensing and registration documentation for corporate entities.
Corporate Legal – Regulatory, Governance and Company Secretariat • Support the development by management of open and transparent relationships with insurance regulators consistent with the organization values and compliant with the spirit and the letter of the law. • Contribute towards the guidance and advice to the organization on developing and maintaining an adequate and transparent corporate governance system of principles, policies, procedures, and clearly defined responsibilities and accountabilities to ensure they are in line with applicable laws and regulations and enable effective and timely decision making. • Actively monitor and report on legal trends and laws allowing for timely anticipation of new requirements and their potential impact on the organization as well as the preparation of appropriate responses. Ensure alignment with Compliance to prevent activity overlaps.
Corporate Legal – Corporate Transactions • Contribute towards the application of legal function strategy for structuring, negotiating and resolving local legal issues of corporate transactions to enable the transaction while protecting Zurich’s assets. • In collaboration with the M&A legal team contribute towards the provision of legal advice to address and manage local legal issues and regulatory requirements in relation to a proposed corporate transaction.
Commercial Legal - Insurance • Contribute towards the guidance of the business in relation to insurance laws and regulation along the business value chain, from licensing, product development through to re-insurance, hereby supporting the business to achieve its strategic and commercial goals- Support the development by management of open and transparent relationships with insurance regulators consistent with the organization values and compliant with the spirit and the letter of the law. • Contribute towards the guidance and advice to the organization on developing and maintaining an adequate and transparent corporate governance system of principles, policies, procedures, and clearly defined responsibilities and accountabilities to ensure they are in line with applicable laws and regulations and enable effective and timely decision making. • Actively monitor and report on legal trends and laws allowing for timely anticipation of new requirements and their potential impact on the organization as well as the preparation of appropriate responses. Ensure alignment with Compliance to prevent activity overlaps.
• Associate Degree in Law or Paralegal Studies and 4 or more years of experience in the Legal Support area OR
• Zurich Certified Insurance Apprentice including an Associate Degree in Law or Paralegal Studies and 4 or more years of experience in the Legal Support area AND
• Experience conducting electronic database research • Experience drafting legal documents, correspondence, and/or pleadings • Experience in litigation legal support
• Bachelors degree • Insurance industry experience • Strong Microsoft Office skills • CORE Registered Paralegal (CRP) • PACE Registered Paralegal (PRP) • Certified Paralegal (CP) • Certified Legal Assistant (CLA) • Professional Paralegal (PP)
Imagine working for a company that truly cares about their employees, customers, stakeholders, and communities they serve. Imagine working for a values-driven organization that has the ambition and desire to be the best global insurance provider in the world. Zurich is that place where 55,000 employees across approximately 200 countries and territories are all focused on helping people and helping companies protect what is truly most important to them. We are a values-driven organization that takes pride in the work that we do every day and we have the ambition to be the best global insurer in the world.
Zurich is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive and barrier-free environment resulting in an accessible organization for employees, customers, and other parties who interact with, or on behalf of, Zurich. We strive to achieve a workplace free of discrimination of all forms, including discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability, or medical condition. If you are interested in a job opportunity, please advise if you require an accommodation, so we can work with you to provide a more accessible process.
Since you are applying from outside Canada, you application will be moderated by our team. You will receive an email once it's been approved.
There was an error, please try again.
You must be legally entitled to work in Canada in order for your application to be considered.
I am legally entitled to work in Canada
Application from outside Canada
Finding an employer that will assist you in your work permit without knowing you is utopic.. Employers simply do not consider non-resident applications. We strongly recommend that you immigrate to Canada before you start looking for employment.