Want to join one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People and a firm that is proud to be named one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers?
This is an opportunity for you to join the world’s largest law firm, a firm that offers opportunities to build your career while growing your skills and deepening your expertise.
The Legal Assistant within our Litigation Department requires a unique blend of skills and experience providing general litigation and administrative support in our Litigation Department. The position will require a confident, reliable and business-minded assistant with the ability to manage multiple tasks and adapt to changing priorities.
The successful candidate will be organized, discreet, detail-oriented, and have a client-first approach to work. In addition, the successful applicant must be team-oriented and accustomed to working as a work team with other assistants. Generally, the hours of work are from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and subject to flexibility to meet client needs; pre-authorized overtime may be required.
• Drafting, preparing and typing of correspondence, accounts, pleadings, briefs, various litigation documents and court forms.
• Arranging for service and filing of documents and related instructions to process servers/agents, and for periodic acceptance of service of documents.
• Preparing and maintaining a bring-forward system and diarizing court dates, examinations for discovery, meetings, and appointments.
• Entering and maintaining on a timely basis lawyer’s dockets in Elite, and coordinating with Accounting Department as required.
• Dealing with and responding to client inquiries and conducting follow up as required.
• Managing files and records per the policy of the firm and maintaining precedent systems as may be required.
• Processing incoming and outgoing mail, including maintenance of email accounts and managing bring forwards.
• General administrative duties such as scheduling appointments and meetings, photocopying materials, booking meeting rooms, making travel arrangements, etc.; working with other related Departments/services internally to provide documents and other materials on time to meet client needs.
• Performing transcription from tapes or digital formats.
• Preparing and updating forms such as cheque requisitions and expense reports.
• Updating and maintaining client/matter lists.
• Maintaining and organizing files in accordance with the firm’s standards and policy.
• Demonstrating a team approach; supporting and standing in for colleagues to cover absences; ensuring strict adherence to confidentiality; accountability in relation to both internal and external clients to achieve outputs and goals for the Department and the Firm.
• Other duties as assigned.
• This position requires a minimum of three years litigation work experience.
• Knowledge of civil litigation procedures, sound understanding of the Rules of Civil Procedure and related Forms, and Practice Directions.
• Passion for working in a team environment, willing to help others and comfortable with sharing work assignments.
• Ability to produce a high quality and quantity of work, occasionally under tight timelines.
• Able to meet deadlines, work well under pressure and take initiative using sound judgment.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written).
• Technology-savvy with excellent technical proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
• Knowledge of accounting/docketing systems and data management systems (i.e. Elite and iManage).
• Excellent organizational/follow up skills; attention to detail, proof reading and accuracy are required.
• Professional client and telephone manner and a proven track record of working with confidential information.
• Able to work independently in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
• Must have excellent problem solving skills, the ability to work with little instruction or supervision and be internally motivated.
• Professionalism demonstrated with colleagues, clients both in person and conversing by phone.
• Strong grammatical skills, including punctuation and proofreading, attention to detail and accuracy are a must.
• Demonstrated commitment to privacy and ethical conduct.
*We thank all applicants who apply, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Inclusion and diversity (I&D) are fundamental to who we are at Dentons Canada and essential to the success and strength of our firm. Our forward-thinking, inclusive culture promotes and supports the professional development of our diverse talent, the leading services we offer to our clients, and positive social change. As a testament to our commitment to I&D, we are recognized as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employer’s for 10 consecutive years (2011-2020) and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People (2020).
Dentons Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome your application. All employment decisions, including hiring, will be made without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship, colour, creed, disability, ethnic origin, family status, gender assigned at birth, gender identity, marital status, place of origin, race, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable human rights legislation.
To support and embrace your diverse skillsets, talents and experiences, we are committed to providing you with an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible workplace to support your success. Should you require accommodation during the recruitment process, for example as a result of a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.