Come join our dynamic legal Administrative Services team! Stikeman Elliott is one of the most distinguished and respected corporate law firms in Canada. We are proud to embrace diversity and inclusion as integral parts of our rich culture and history. Voted one of the Best Employers in Canada for the past 13 years, and winner of the Venngo Award of Excellence for Financial, Physical & Mental Wellness at the 2019 Canadian HR Awards, Stikeman Elliott is always seeking to recruit the best and the brightest talents.
The Manager, Legal Support is a leadership role responsible for providing support, coaching and guidance to a portfolio of Legal Administrative Assistants (“LAAs”). This is a fantastic opportunity to support an amazing team of talented LAAs who play a crucial role in the success of our lawyers’ practices.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Recruitment – Assist the Director & HR Recruitment Specialist with the recruitment of new LAAs ensuring we attract and retain key LAA talent with a focus on market/recruitment trends and challenges for specific client groups.
2. Onboarding & Share/Workload Allocation – Provide leadership and mentoring to new LAAs to ensure a smooth transition to new roles utilizing the tools/resources, mentors, and knowledge of the LAA role as it applies to the specific position, share team and practice area.
3. Career & Growth Development – Solid understanding of the Role of the LAA in order to ensure that our LAAs have the tools/resources available for career development and on-going growth opportunities. Work closely with LAAs and legal professionals to assess the skill level of LAAs to identify and promote training/resources, as required.
4. Workforce Planning – Work closely with the Director to plan and pivot as necessary to meet the evolving needs of client group/legal professionals. Coordinate resources to ensure coverage for vacations, absences, projects etc. Oversee LAA hybrid work schedule to ensure sufficient on-site resources are available.
5. Performance Management & Employee Relations – Under the oversight of the Director, assess performance and employee relations and/or conflict issues/resolutions. Assist with the annual LAA performance management process for a portfolio of LAAs as noted above. Lead LAA engagement activities
6. Initiatives/Projects – Assist/collaborate on initiatives/projects as identified in the annual business plan and/or as determined by changing business needs.
Knowledge and Experience
· Post-secondary degree/diploma in Human Resources an asset
· Undergraduate degree and Law Clerk Certificate or comparable experience
· 3 to 5 years of experience in a leadership role, preferably within a professional services firm
Skills and Abilities
· Strong technical skills (MS Office)
· Strong interpersonal/leadership skills with the ability to form strong and trusted relationships
· Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) and comfortable delivering presentations, workshops etc.
· Sound judgement, solution oriented and able to deal with confidential and/or sensitive information
· Role model with a strong work ethic and flexible to work overtime to meet client service demands
· Strong project management and organizational skills and able to effectively prioritize responsibilities
Please Note: Our firm has a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy which requires all firm members to be fully vaccinated with a Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccine. You will not be asked to disclose your vaccination status during the interview process. If you are offered employment, you will find a vaccination clause in your offer of employment providing that prior to commencing any employment with the Firm, you must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and provide proof of a Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccination. The Firm will make reasonable accommodation efforts if you cannot be vaccinated due to medical, religious, or other grounds to the extent protected by applicable human rights legislation.
Stikeman Elliott is committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment process.