Dentons Canada is seeking an experienced leader to join our team as the Director, New Business Intake. The Director will lead a team of approximately 15 employees, all part of the Canada Region’s Business Acceptance Team (including professionals within our Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Client Terms, and Client Records groups). The Director will have oversight of the people, process and technology employed to onboard new clients and matters into the firm.
Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Director will work closely with senior management, including members of the Office of the General Counsel.
The Director will represent the Canadian firm in working with the global Dentons business intake project team, the software vendor, and business technology teams (globally and in North America) to oversee and manage upcoming platform upgrades, as well as the integration of our business intake system with our soon to be launched new financial system.
The incumbent will need to possess a strong technical and business process background; preferably have legal industry experience; and have strong people management and client service skills. Prior team leadership experience is considered an asset. Critical to the Director’s success will be an ability to communicate their message, to understand their audience and deliver information in a clear and concise manner. It is this mix of analytical, financial, business and communication skills which will drive success in this role.
An understanding of new business intake in a large professional services firm (preferably, a law firm) would be beneficial.
• Provide leadership and oversight for the Business Acceptance Team who support the firm’s new business intake process and platform, Dentons Open.
• Proactively identify and lead implementation of process improvements and best practices for the use of the Dentons Open platform.
• Act as a strategic business partner ensuring that Dentons Open is meeting the needs of the business from a regulatory and compliance perspective but also internal client service perspective.
• Understand the new business intake process, including the role of each group in the Business Acceptance Team (Conflicts, Anti-Money Laundering, Finance, Client Terms and Client Records), and how each group uses Dentons Open as part of the new business intake process.
• Act as the escalation point of contact for lawyers and administrative assistants, to resolve concerns.
• Work collaboratively with the global Dentons Open project team and business technology teams (globally and in North America) to oversee and manage upcoming platform upgrades, as well as the new financial system (3E) integration with Dentons Open in 2023 and beyond.
• Provide supervision and leadership to the Business Acceptance Team:
o Provide oversight and mentorship to new and existing staff.
o Handle personnel issues.
o Work with direct reports to establish goals and objectives for each year, monitor and advise on progress to enhance the professional development of staff.
• Strong communicator; excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Business process background.
• An understanding of new business intake in a large professional services firm (preferably, a law firm) would be beneficial.
• Ability to learn and become proficient with new technology quickly.
• Experience in matter opening or management, and managing confidential information is an asset.
• Proficiency in French is an asset.
Personal skills / attributes
• 7+ years’ experience as a leader, with experience in business process or change management.
• Strong people leader, able to lead, manage, and develop a national team of professionals.
• Able to interact positively at all levels within the firm as a strong collaborator.
• Able to influence, understand stakeholder management, with excellent client/customer facing skills.
• Highly organized, with strong attention to detail.
• Able to think creatively, highly-driven and self-motivated; demonstrated ability to roll-up sleeves and work with team members in a hands-on management capacity.
• Strong problem solving and analytical skills; can clearly explain and present problems and issues to others and contribute to their resolution.
• Able to make decisions and remain calm while under pressure – particularly when dealing with difficult situations.
• Able to deliver high quality work to tight deadlines.
• Able to analyze and recognize the need for improvement to systems and suggest options for improvement to the CFO.
• Can carry out all responsibilities in a way which supports the practice’s values and promotes its equal opportunities and diversity principles.
• Be an ambassador for Dentons, being professional in outlook and attitude. Demonstrate commitment to privacy and ethical conduct.
*We thank all applicants who apply, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Inclusion and diversity (I&D) are fundamental to who we are at Dentons Canada and essential to the success and strength of our firm. Our forward-thinking, inclusive culture promotes and supports the professional development of our diverse talent, the leading services we offer to our clients, and positive social change. As a testament to our commitment to I&D, we are recognized as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employer’s for 11 consecutive years (2011-2021) and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People (2021) for the fourth time.
Dentons Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome your application. All employment decisions, including hiring, will be made without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship, colour, creed, disability, ethnic origin, family status, gender assigned at birth, gender identity, marital status, place of origin, race, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable human rights legislation.
To support and embrace your diverse skillsets, talents and experiences, we are committed to providing you with an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible workplace to support your success. Should you require accommodation during the recruitment process, for example as a result of a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.