The Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee (OPGT) delivers a unique and diverse range of services that safeguard the legal, personal and financial interests of private individuals and estates.
In this challenging role, Estates Officers investigate referrals of estates from lawyers, police departments, social agencies, funeral homes, hospitals and the general public. As part of our team, you will also provide comprehensive financial and paralegal management to a caseload of estate trusts of varying complexity.
What can I expect to do in this role?
• evaluate referrals to determine if the estate falls within the parameters of the Crown Administration of Estates Act
• secure all estate assets and determine estate liabilities
• provide financial management of the estate trusts while searching for next-of-kin
• manage and approve the sale of estate chattels
How do I qualify?
• For the temporary bilingual position, you must possess oral and written French language skills at the advanced level. Your proficiency level will be confirmed before hire.
• You demonstrate knowledge of estate management practices related to funerals, burials, taxation and the disposition of estate assets in order to manage a caseload of estate trusts.
• You have knowledge of the legal system, and court procedures and practices.
• You have knowledge of relevant legal and financial terminology.
• Your financial administration skills and knowledge of financial terminology enable you to effectively administer estate trusts.
• You are able to interpret, apply, and ensure compliance with relevant policies, procedures and legislation (e.g. Crown Administration of Estates Act, Estates Act, Family Law Act, Powers of Attorney Act).
Organizational, Analytical and Consultation Skills
• Your strong organizational skills enable you to manage multiple tasks with conflicting deadlines in a high-volume environment.
• You have analytical skills to assess written and numerical information.
• You demonstrate consultation and conflict management skills to work effectively with public agencies and members of the general public.
• You are proficient with a variety of common software programs (e.g. word processing, spreadsheet, databases).
• You are proficient with case management software (e.g. Trust Accounting Management System (TAMS), File Management System (FMS)).
Salary Range: $1,203.91 - $1,506.33 Per Week
Required security screening checks along with your written consent, will be sent to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you.
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual's employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
Please apply online, only, by Wednesday, January 20, 2021, by visiting www.ontario.ca/careers and entering Job ID 158180 in the Job ID search field. Please follow the instructions to submit your application. Faxes are not being accepted at this time.
If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at www.gojobs.gov.on.ca/ContactUs.aspx to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer. Accommodation will be provided in accordance with Ontario's Human Rights Code.